MUSIQUE ROYALE

Saulnierville

Paroisse Sacre-Coeur

Paroisse Sacré-Coeur (Sacred Heart Parish) in Saulnierville was founded in 1880 by Father Jean-Marie Gay; in 1890 it split away from the mother parish, St. Mary’s Parish in Church Point (Paroisse Sainte-Marie à la Pointe-de-l’Eglise). Since then, Sacré-Coeur (Sacred Heart) Parish has almost always been overseen by the fathers of the Congregation of Jesus and Mary, (Eudist priests).

Église Sacré-Coeur dates from the founding of the parish (1880). It is currently the oldest parish church in the Clare region (one of the few parish churches to have escaped the ravages of fire). It was built entirely by the parishioners who gave generously of their time and scarce financial and material resources. The church went through a number of renovations, the most recent from 1977 to 1979, under the leadership of pastor Claude Côté, CJM to mark the centenary of the parish in 1980. Further renovations were made from 2007 to 2012.

La Paroisse Sacré-Coeur de Saulnierville fut fondée en 1880 par l’abbé Jean-Marie Gay et en 1890 elle fut détachée de la paroisse-mère de toute la région, Sainte-Marie de la Pointe-de-l’Église. L’église actuelle date de la fondation de la paroisse (1880). Il s’agit de la plus vieille église paroissiale de la région de Clare. Elle fut entièrement construite par les habitants de la paroisse qui donnèrent généreusement de leur temps et de leurs maigres ressources financières et matérielles.

Location: 9650 Route 1, Saulnierville, Nova Scotia, B0W 2Z0

Contact: Lynn Surette