Explore Nova Scotia through historic venues and great music!
Explore Nova Scotia through historic venues and great music!
You will find below an up-to-date list of our current partnerships, their histories, and contact information. Generally speaking, tickets are always available through reservation from the MR Box Office and at the door. Feel free to contact a venue directly with any questions about the upcoming concert being held there. In addition, some venues have their own local ticket selling arrangements, such as at shops or through community organizations. We are pleased to offer affordable tickets to all our concerts with an average price of $20 for general admission and $10 for students. Cecilia's Retreat events are available by advance reservation only, so make sure to write Barbara Butler to save a spot for her house concerts!
The present structure of St. George and Andrew United Church dates back to 1911 but its history is much older. The first service of worship was under the Methodists and was held on July 3rd, 1782 by the Rev. William Black. The first Methodist church building was dedicated at the comer of St. Anthony and Church Streets in 1789. The second Methodist church building was dedicated in 1846 near the site of the old Mohawk Fort. It was later moved to where the manse now stands. It was eventually taken down and the present brick church was built.
The Presbyterian church which was called St. Andrew’s was built in 1862 and is now owned by the Arts Council and is just across the street from the manse. In 1919, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church and St. George’s Methodist Church United, a forerunner of the later union which came in 1925. It is thought to be the first union of the two churches, at least in the Maritimes.
Location: 393 St. George Street, Annapolis Royal, NS, B0S 1A0
Contact: John Montgomerie
St. John’s Anglican Church is an old parish with a new building. The first service of the Parish of St. John’s Anglican Church was held at Three Mile Inn near the Bedford Basin on June 12, 1839. Sunday evening services were established at the schoolhouse near Three Mile Inn until November of 1840. On May 1, 1841 it was proposed that a church building be erected and on June 22 of that year, land for the original church and cemetery was donated by St. Paul’s Church. St. John’s Chapel was built through the dedicated efforts of the Reverend William Uniacke who was part of a sub-committee to oversee the property and building of the new church. The dimensions of the church (44’ X 28’) were established and six tenders were accepted for consideration. On September 8, 1841, the church’s frame was built in Dartmouth and was subsequently floated up the Basin for placement at the site. The building of the church was completed in a mere six weeks after the frame was raised.
The decision to change the site occupied by the first St. John’s Anglican Church to its second location resulted from the area’s population growth and a generous provision of property donated by the late Mr. Henry Deal. This second parish complex was constructed at the intersection of Dutch Village Road with Bayers Road and Joseph Howe Avenue. The cornerstone of the second St. John’s Anglican Church was laid in December of 1959, and the building, designed by Keith L. Graham and Associates of Halifax, was built by MacDougall Construction Company Limited of New Glasgow. The church was constructed of steel and masonry with glass panels. A striking architectural feature of the day was the interior breadth of the sanctuary as well as the height of three crosses near the main entrance. The ‘Opening and Service of Dedication’ was held on Friday, February 26, 1960 with a consecration on April 25, 1973.
The third manifestation of the church started with a service of ‘Celebration and Thanksgiving’ by the Right Reverend Fred Hiltz, fourteenth Bishop of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, on Sunday, March 25 2007, during which sentences of consecration were revoked. The property was sold and the complex was demolished to make way for a new commercial development. The parishioners moved on to temporary locations in the Clayton Park West area including a long period using the J.A. Memorial Chapel within the facilities of Snow’s Funeral Home. It took several years to seek out suitable property and several months to construct the new church complex. The new building was designed by architect Foster MacKenzie and constructed by Jetco Contracting Ltd. on land purchased at 2187 Larry Uteck Boulevard in the West Bedford development area. The parishioners rejoiced as they took possession of the building in December of 2013 just in time to hold the first worship services during the last Sunday of Advent and then Christmas Eve of that year. The ‘Blessing of the New Church Building’ took place on February 23, 2014 with the Right Reverend Sue Moxley, fifteenth Bishop of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, presiding.
Location: 787 Kearney Lake Road, Bedford, NS, B4B 1E2
Contact: Rev. Randy D. Townsend
St. Barnabas’ Anglican Church is a Greek Revival styled building, built in 1886, located in the heart of the small fishing village of Blue Rocks. The Municipal Heritage Designation applies to the building and building footprint.
St. Barnabas’ Church is valued for its architecture, age and as the only Anglican Church in the Blue Rocks area of Lunenburg County. Following its completion, the congregation continued to expand and in 1907 two wings were added to the church; one on the nave and one on the chancel making it considerably larger. The additions were constructed by noted local builders Boehner & Sons of nearby West LaHave. The expansion of the church ensured it could continue to meet the needs of its congregation and was viewed as more palatable alternative to constructing a new church. The church continues to be active today and remains a vital part of the small coastal community.
With appreciation to Rev. John Wright and the church’s Ladies Guild.
Location: 1396 Blue Rocks Road, Blue Rocks
Contact: Rev. John Wright
The Dawn Oman Art Gallery in Bridgetown was originally built as Providence Methodist Church in 1872; in 1921, the congregation amalgamated with Gordon Presbyterian Church, thus creating Gordon-Providence United Church, four years ahead of the formation of the national United Church of Canada. The Bridgetown Pastoral Charge was a four-point charge including churches in Lawrencetown, Upper Granville and Tupperville. In 2014, the Gordon-Providence building was purchased by Dawn Oman. During its subsequent renovation, many of the architectural features were preserved: the stained glass windows, the 1902 Casavant pipe organ, its hardwood floors and the large brass bell in the belfry. Aside from its function as a gallery, this venue provides the community with a flexible performance space. Artwork by Dawn Oman.
Location: 523 St George St, Annapolis Royal
Contact: John Montgomerie and Dawn Oman
Consecrated by Bishop John Inglis on July 25th, 1843, St Mark’s, Broad Cove, is the oldest of the numerous Anglican churches along the shore between the LaHave estuary and the Lunenburg-Queens County line. The feeling of intimacy inside enhances both traditional liturgy and musical performances. In recent years it has become home to a fine seven stop mechanical action pipe organ, built originally for Acadia University.
The church is at 7095 Highway 331. It is about a twenty-minute drive from the ferry at LaHave. Alternatively take exit 15 from highway 103 (signed for Broad Cove), drive through Crousetown and turn right on reaching highway 331.
Location: 7095 Highway 331, Broad Cove
Contact: Rev. Oliver Osmond
St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, situated in the scenic and historic seaside Village of Chester in the South Shore region was constructed in 1840. St. Stephen’s features a mixture of Greek and Gothic Revival architecture, with a unique interior which boasts an ornately designed full wrap-around balcony. Visitors are welcome to learn about the parish history and some of the church’s historical associations; brochures with information on parish history and features of church for self-guided tours.
Musique Royale’s event in Chester honours Ted Cleather a valued member of our Board of Directors for many years.
Location: Box 385, Chester, NS, B0J 1J0
Contact: Ted Cleather, 902 275-3804
Cheticamp is an Acadian Parish founded in 1785. The actual church was constructed in 1893 at the cost of $41,950 by Father Fiset whose tomb may be visited under the Sanctuary. Stones for the construction were hauled on the ice by groups of parishioners from Cheticamp Island across the harbour.
The church is 212 feet long, 74 feet wide and the steeple rises to 167 feet. In 1957 the church was repainted and decorated, frescoes and stained glass windows were added. The organ, one of the first Casavant, was acquired in 1904 and is still in excellent condition.
St. Peter’s Church is situated on high grounds near the harbour and can be seen from all parts of the Parish, from the mountains and from the sea for many miles around. This imposing monument, with its architecture, its frescoes and its stained glass windows, is one of the most beautiful churches in the Maritime Provinces. It is also a witness to the deep faith and determination of its parishioners of past and present generations.
Location: 15-119 Cabot Trail Drive, Cheticamp
Contact: Michel Aucoin, 902 634-9994
St. George’s Church is situated in a quiet setting along Highway #337 on the Gulf Shore of Antigonish County. The first Catholic chapel in Georgeville district was built at Morar about 1830. Remnants of that building were incorporated into the present-day vestry of St. George’s Church whose construction was completed in 1871. This vernacular style church features architectural elements including a symmetrical façade, a truncated central tower and Gothic windows. A cornerstone laid in 1860 contains a sealed bottle with coins and a document identifying members of the construction team including Peter MacKenzie, architect; John Smith, framer; and Thomas Brown, mason. Many of the early grantees to the area were of Highland Scottish extraction, including families with the surname McInnis, McLean, McNeil, McPherson and Gillis. Historically, fishing and farming have played an important part in local economy. The community invites you to enjoy a visit to our wharf at Livingstone’s Cove and explore our beaches!
Location: 9415 Highway 337, Georgeville
Contact: Nancy Layden, 902 863-3015
Location: 695 Main St., Glace Bay, NS
Contact: Jim MacNeil, 902 849-6826
Greenwood United Church has a history dating back to 1841 when Knox Presbyterian church was established on Baddeck Bay. Later, the congregation moved into the heart of Baddeck itself, and built our current church building. Greenwood has changed a lot from those early years, but we are still committed to being a sign of God’s presence to the people of Baddeck. We host many activities throughout the year including concerts, clothing sales, outreach to shut-ins, ecumenical and community events. You would be very welcome to join us for worship any Sunday or at any of our community events.
Location: 98 Twining St., Baddeck, B0E 1B0
Contact: Juanita Macaulay
An architectural jewel, the Cathedral Church of All Saints is one of the finest examples of perpendicular gothic style in Canada. Soaring arches rise toward the vaulted ceiling nearly seven stories in height. The wood carvings of Robert “mousie” Thompson, in the sanctuary, the chancel, and the signature pulpit, took 30 years to complete and are the only example of Thompson’s work in Canada. Equally notable is the cathedral’s 5,000-pipe organ, the second largest in the Maritimes.
As the cathedral church for the Anglican Diocese of Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, All Saints is the gathering place for liturgical events which draw and unite people from across two provinces. On Sundays and throughout the week, their doors are open to provide a respite for those seeking spiritual refreshment, refuge, and inspiration.
Capella Regalis sing regularly at Evensongs through the year and present their final concert of the 2017 spring tour on June 15.
Location: 1336 Martello Street, Halifax
Contact: Vanessa Halley, 902 423-6002
First Baptist Church was founded in 1827 as the Granville Street Baptist Church (renamed First Baptist Church in 1886) and is a member of the Halifax Region United Baptist Association as well as the Canadian Association for Baptist Freedoms (formerly the Atlantic Baptist Fellowship). First Baptist is intentionally ecumenical and inclusive in its services (Sundays at 10:30 a.m.) and programs. The church is located at 1300 Oxford Street.
Location: 1300 Oxford St, Halifax
Contact: Vanessa Halley, 902 422-1270 ext 261
Religious services have been a part of the life of the University of King’s College since it was founded in 1789 as the first college to be granted university status in British North America. King’s was modeled on the colleges of Oxford and Cambridge, which were residential, Anglican, and followed the tutorial approach to teaching. After a fire destroyed the original university buildings in Windsor, Nova Scotia, in 1920, the university relocated to Halifax and became associated with Dalhousie University. The Chapel was one of the original buildings to be built on the new five-acre Halifax campus by renowned American-Canadian architect, Andrew Cobb, one of the first students of the École des Beaux Arts in Paris to practice architecture in the Atlantic region. During World War II, King’s was used as an officer training facility for the Royal Canadian Navy, and between 1941 and 1945 the Chapel ministered to young naval recruits. You will notice the Chapel’s baptismal font is a ship’s bell, given to the Chapel in honour and thanks for its war effort.
Home to a vibrant and multi-faith community of students, staff, faculty, and friends, the Chapel is both a place of quiet reflection and the hub of lively activity, all based upon its core belief in the promotion of community through worship. During term, the daily rhythm of prayer practiced in the Chapel forms the basic structure by which students can further approach the truth and beauty of their search for meaning in academic and personal terms. The chapel hosts lectures and discussions, organizes retreats and day trips, holds special suppers and potlucks, is involved in a range of outreach activities, and supports musical education of its student choristers and the community at large. It welcomes all who come through its doors.
Location: 6350 Coburg Road, Halifax
Contact: Vanessa Halley, 902 422-1271 ext 261
The Highland Village Museum, 4119 Highway 223, is a 43-acre living history museum and cultural centre that interprets, presents and celebrates Nova Scotia’s Gaelic language and culture. Overlooking the world famous Bras d’Or Lakes, costumed staff in 10 period buildings take visitors on a journey through 140 years of cultural evolution in Scotland and Nova Scotia, including emigration, immigration, pioneering and community building.
During the fall of 2003, the Malagawatch United Church was moved from its site near the shores of the River Denys Basin to the beautiful hills overlooking the Bras d’Or Lakes at the Highland Village Museum in Iona. The spectacular journey involved travel over land and water, and was just another chapter in the church’s rich history. Long inhabited by First Nations people, Malagawatch takes its name from a Mi’kmaq word said to mean “lake of full islands”. The community of Malagawatch is one of the oldest Presbyterian communities in Cape Breton.
The church building has a blending of architectural styles. It demonstrates Federal style in the squared-off windows; the tall spire, encouraging us to look towards the heavens, is Gothic; the front door has a taste of Greek Revival. The inside of the church is very plain in keeping with Presbyterian tradition. No musical instruments were used for singing until a pump organ was purchased in the 1940’s.
Location: 4119 Highway 223, Iona
Contact: Rodney Chaisson, 902 725-2272
Located on Nova Scotia’s beautiful Eastern Shore, the Clam Harbour United Church is now located at Memory Lane Heritage Village, 5435 Clam Harbour Beach Road in Lake Charlotte. This simple church (seating is limited to 90) built in 1891 features superb acoustics in an intimate setting.
The church was built by the Clam Harbour congregation, under the direction of Fred and Henry Stoddard who were trained carpenters. The framework of the building is constructed entirely of hand-hewn timbers and the basic integrity of the structure, more than a hundred years later, is a testament to the builders’ skills. This beautiful community church was restored to its late 1940s state by the Lake Charlotte Area Heritage Society. The restoration included building a replica of the original belfry (including a bell); restoring the stairs to the balcony and the balcony pews; painting the interior in its original colours; finding and installing a wood stove; shingling the outside with wooden shingles; and building and installing a replica of the diamond window originally located above the entrance door.
This concert is followed by a four course lamp lit dinner in the Village’s Cookhouse (optional). The dinner is inspired by the composers and works chosen for this evening.
Location: Memory Lane Heritage Village, 28 Clam Harbour Road, Lake Charlotte
Contact: Thea Wilson Hammond, 902 845-1937
65 Fox Street. Lunenburg. The Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church in Lunenburg has been described as the “Rock of Lutheranism” in Canada. It is the oldest worshipping Lutheran congregation in the country and traces its history back to the earliest days of the settlement, when services were held in the open air and, later, in the St. John’s Anglican Church. In 1772, with the arrival of the Rev. Frederick Schultz, a first church building was erected. Nothing remains of that first building, however, except the key and the bell. The bell is of particular historical note in that it originally hung in the Fortress of Louisbourg. Known as the Antoine-Marie bell, it was purchased by the congregation in 1776 and was hung in the first church. In 1841 under the ministry of the Rev. Charles Cossman, the old church was removed and replaced by a new Gothic structure.
In 1888, the second church was taken down and replaced by the present building. The cornerstone was laid in 1890 and the church officially opened in July 1891. The church is designed in the High Victorian Gothic style. Its long, gable roofed nave runs between Fox and York streets and has a main gable end which is richly ornamented with moulded wooden belt courses, dentil courses, and a large stained glass window that serves as a memorial to the Rev. Cossman. Asymmetrical buttressed towers are attached at the corners of the nave. The small tower has a pointed doorway at ground level, a circular “oculus” window on the second storey, paired lancet windows on the third level, and a squat, pyramidal tower with a louvered gablet on its front face and a finial at its peak.
The larger tower has a pointed arched doorway built out in relief from the main wall and an ascending series of mullioned lancet windows on the second and third stories. A tall spire caps the 4th story belfry with small louvered gablets on four sides.
Location: 65 Fox St, Lunenburg
Contact: Barbara Butler, 902 624-0506
The Lunenburg Academy is one of the defining features of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. Standing on top of “Gallows Hill,” the Academy, like a great Victorian matriarch, surveys her family of distinctive and beautiful homes in the old town. Visible for miles around, it is an outstanding landmark and one of the most remarkable heritage buildings in the province. It has been designated as a municipal, provincial and federal heritage site, and was recently restored.
The Lunenburg Academy was built from 1894 to 1895 and was designed by noted architect H.H. Mott. It is the only intact 19th century academy building surviving in Nova Scotia. The building had a long educational history in the town until 2010, when a new school was built in Lunenburg. The Lunenburg Academy is now owned by the Town of Lunenburg, and is the home of the Lunenburg Academy of Music Performance.
The building has many wonderful historical features, but the 200-seat auditorium on the third floor, overlooking Old Town Lunenburg, is certainly a high point. High ceilings with wooden detailing, the Lunenburg Academy of Music Performance space features large, airy classrooms and practice rooms, as well as a full library of DVDs and CDs. A state of the art recording studio ensures that rehearsals and performances can be recorded and live streamed.
Location: 97 Kaulbach St, Lunenburg
Lunenburg School of the Arts offers workshops led by professional art educators and working artists. Small and intimate class sizes allow students to work closely with instructors and each other, fostering self-expression in a supportive atmosphere. Courses are offered in a wide variety of mediums. Programs encourage exploration, discovery and development of skills and ideas. Lunenburg School of the Arts is located in the heart of Lunenburg, a UNESCO World Heritage site, a hub for arts and music. With its historic townscape and a working waterfront, the Town of Lunenburg is its campus.
Old Town Lunenburg, founded in 1753, was officially designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in August, 1996. At the centre of the town is St. John’s Anglican Church, Canada’s second oldest Protestant church. It is undeniably one of the country’s most outstanding examples of Carpenter Gothic architecture. On November 1, 2001, a devastating fire struck St. John’s. The restoration project that followed is a testimonial to the power of faith which has motivated and inspired many people in the community and all over the world. A second church was built in 1841 but replaced in 1890 by the present structure, one designed in High Victorian Gothic style.
Take Exit 10 or 11 from Route 103 to find the scenic beauty and coastal charm of this unique area. The three waterfront churches, and the Scarecrow and Father Christmas Festivals are among popular highlights in a town that is full of interesting studios, galleries and specialty crafts.
Cecilia’s Retreat, RR#2 in Mahone Bay, is a private residence where music and hospitality are enjoyed while overlooking a spectacular view of Mader’s Cove. Painting “Hot Licks” by Geoff Butler. Reservations required for events at Cecilia’s Retreat.
Margaretsville is a picturesque fishing village with magnificent sunsets and a panoramic view of the Bay of Fundy. It is the home of Fundy Folk, a society devoted to the performing arts that began as an extension of the kitchen parties that were common among the folk type musicians of the area. The Evergreen Theatre, located at 1660 Stronach Mountain Rd. in Margaretsville, is a simple symmetrical wooden structure with gothic windows. The building is 175 years old, originally the Evergreen Baptist Church. In recent years it was donated to the community and converted into a performance space, now hosting over 20 performances per year. Its marvelous acoustics make it ideal as a venue for music performances.
Location: 1941 Stronach Mountain Road, East Margaretsville
Contact: David O'Leary, 902 825-6834
Merigomish is located on the south shore of Merigomish Harbour, Exit 27, off Highway 104. Its name is probably a variation of the Micmac name Malegomich, “the merrymaking place”. The area seems to have been one of the larger Indian camping grounds and Merigomish Harbour is believed to be a site significant for its archeological remnants. Settlement by Loyalist refugees from the American Revolutionary War began here in the area about 1784. Fishing and farming are the basic industries in the area, and the scenery along the Sunrise Trail is among the most beautiful in the province. In comparison to many of the churches in our region, Merigomish United Church is “relatively” new. It was built and completed in 1927 by many past relatives and friends who still attend today. However, there are some who probably still remember the dedication and efforts that went into the building of the structure. Merigomish United Church was dedicated with three separate services on Sunday, October 9, 1927. The minister was Rev. H.E. Campbell. The first service was at 11am and included guest speakers Rev. C.C. MacIntosh, Rev. Dr. A.H. Denson, Rev. J.D. MacLeod, and Rev. R.A. Patterson. There was another service at 3pm, and then another for the young people at 7pm. Our church maintains its devotion to the younger generations with a fabulous Sunday School.
Old Holy Trinity Church, c. 1791, was built, by loyalists, just four years after the end of the American Revolution and seventy eight years before Canada’s Confederation. The church is the only unaltered Loyalist church in existence. It was built by Rev. John Wiswall, an Episcopalian priest from Falmouth, now, Portland Maine, whose wife, daughter and two of his four sons were killed by the American revolutionary forces. Rev. Wiswall fled America with his two remaining sons and Bishop Inglis of Halifax gave Wiswall the parish of Wilmot, in which Middleton is situated, to preach and build this historic Anglican Church.
Old Holy Trinity sits adjacent to the new Holy Trinity just on the western outskirts of Middleton on Hwy. #1. The original bell, flags and bibles are still intact and are on display when the church is open to the public. The acoustics within the old church are beyond belief and musical groups love to perform there. . Middleton is proud to be the home of such a national treasure and this designated Provincial Heritage site, and the church is in the care of The Old Holy Trinity Charitable Trust whose mission is to preserve, maintain, and promote Old Holy Trinity.
Location: 49 Main Street, Lower Middleton
Contact: John Maceachern
Parrsboro is admired for its elegant houses and estates, many of which were built during the 1800’s, and the breathtaking scenic view it affords of the extraordinary tides of the Minas Basin. Construction of Ottawa House by the Sea was begun in the 1770’s on the site of an Acadian trading fort. Overlooking the rocky cliffs of nearby Partridge Island, historic Ottawa House served as the summer home of Sir Charles Tupper, former Prime Minister of Canada and Father of Canadian Confederation. After serving as an inn for more than a century, this lovely Georgian structure was converted to a museum filled with period furnishings. Several rooms also house exhibits showcasing Parrsboro’s shipbuilding heritage. The museum is situated at 1155 Whitehall Road.
Location: 1155 Whitehall Road, Parrsboro
Contact: Susan Clarke, 902 254-2376
For over 200 years, this site has been a place of Christian worship. Situated beside the Old Ferry Road in Poplar Grove (near Avondale and Newport Landing on the Bay of Fundy), St. John the Baptist Anglican Church, 908 Avondale Road, was originally built by the Methodists, possibly as early as 1794; the present building is most likely not the original structure. In 1863, the Baptists bought the building and used it until 1872. Except for occasional use by the Presbyterians, it remained closed until 1924 when it was bought by the Anglicans.
Today, people of all faiths welcome the peace and quiet found in this unique church. During Sung Evensong, with candles all aglow and the beautiful oil lamps lit, we are reminded of simpler times.
Location: 908 Avondale Road, Poplar Grove
Contact: Hugh MacNeil, 902 634-9994
Gothic Revival Style church had ab asymmetrical facade with 5 sided front projection and recessed north- and south facing entrances in small open porches on each side. The steeply pitched roof has three cross gales on front projection an off centre chimney and a tower / steeple with a finial over the south entrance. There are triple windows in the 3 front sides of the projection which have double hung sashes and 1/1 glazing; pointed arch windows above have tracery and stained glass. There are large quadruple lancet windows in the north and south gable ends of the transept which have tracery and stained glass in the top arches. Most other windows are lancet or rectangular with double hung sashes and 3/3 glazing. Wood construction, clad with Vinyl siding.
This is the third Baptist church to have been built on this site, the first two having burned in 1879 and March 1892. This building was started in September of 1892, the architect was J.B. Kinney and building contractor was Howard C. Curry. The progress of construction was followed closely in Yarmouth Light newspaper, from September 8, 1892 to October 5 1993, shortly after its completion.
West sis of road. The taller bell tower over north entrance was removed and north entry porch roof changed in 1978. Wheelchair ramp added in 1983. Chimney has had a new top built sometime sine 1992.
Location: 3155 Hwy 1, Port Maitland
Contact: Joan Semple
The history of the Parish of Cornwallis dates back to 1761, a few short years after the deportment of the Acadians. Construction of St. John’s Cornwallis Anglican Church in Port Williams began in 1804 but because of lack of funds at the time the interior wasn’t completed until 1812. Over the years various additions and repairs have been made including an extension of the chancel and a change of seating in 1888 to create a third aisle of pews. The stained glass windows are outstanding with a number of memorials gracing its walls. The beauty of the sanctuary, the warmth of wood and wonderful acoustic make this church a unique setting for Musique Royale performances.
Location: 1105 Church Street, Port Williams
Contact: Diana Shelley, 902 542-7476
Paroisse Sacré-Coeur (Sacred Heart Parish) in Saulnierville was founded in 1880 by Father Jean-Marie Gay; in 1890 it split away from the mother parish, St. Mary’s Parish in Church Point (Paroisse Sainte-Marie à la Pointe-de-l’Eglise). Since then, Sacré-Coeur (Sacred Heart) Parish has almost always been overseen by the fathers of the Congregation of Jesus and Mary, (Eudist priests).
Église Sacré-Coeur dates from the founding of the parish (1880). It is currently the oldest parish church in the Clare region (one of the few parish churches to have escaped the ravages of fire). It was built entirely by the parishioners who gave generously of their time and scarce financial and material resources. The church went through a number of renovations, the most recent from 1977 to 1979, under the leadership of pastor Claude Côté, CJM to mark the centenary of the parish in 1980. Further renovations were made from 2007 to 2012.
La Paroisse Sacré-Coeur de Saulnierville fut fondée en 1880 par l’abbé Jean-Marie Gay et en 1890 elle fut détachée de la paroisse-mère de toute la région, Sainte-Marie de la Pointe-de-l’Église. L’église actuelle date de la fondation de la paroisse (1880). Il s’agit de la plus vieille église paroissiale de la région de Clare. Elle fut entièrement construite par les habitants de la paroisse qui donnèrent généreusement de leur temps et de leurs maigres ressources financières et matérielles.
Location: 9650 Route 1, Saulnierville, Nova Scotia, B0W 2Z0
Contact: Lynn Surette
The Osprey Arts Centre vision sees a community where all members, youth, adult and senior, and culturally diverse, have access to high quality performing arts events, both amateur and professional, to be a place where people turn for training in the arts and to be available to all members of the community as a place to perform. Open year round, the Osprey exhibits visual art and presents popular and classical music, live theatre, summer arts camps for kids, a literary festival, and book launches. It hosts events across Shelburne County in schools and other venues and rents its space to community groups and for public and private functions such as weddings, meetings, conferences, and lectures. The Centre is run by a volunteer Board of Directors and three part-time staff.
Location: 107 Water Street, Shelburne
Contact: Alex Buchanan, 902 875-2359
Eglise Ste-Anne Church is the oldest Acadian parish on mainland Nova Scotia. In 1799, Father Jean Mandé Sigogne officially founded the parish of Ste-Anne. In 1808 a new church was constructed to serve the growing Acadian population in the area. However, the structure caught fire in 1900 and burned to the ground. The parish built a new church over a six month period, and opened to the public for Christmas mass in 1900.
La paroisse Ste-Anne fut fondée le 4 juillet 1799 avec l’arrivée de l’abbé Jean-Mande Sigogne. La chapelle et le cimetière, circa 1784, se trouvent moins qu’un kilomètre de l’église actuelle fut au service des fidèles jusqu’à ce qu’une nouvelle église soit complétée en 1808. Cette église passa aux feux le 24 mars 1900. L’église actuelle fut construite en 1900, à temps pour célébrer la messe de minuit la même année. Sa beauté remarquable à l’extérieur et à l’intérieur, ses nombreuses peintures originales et ses vitraux font en sorte que chaque année un grand nombre de visiteurs s’arrêtent pour l’apprécier.
Contact: Joan Semple
St. Patrick’s Museum was originally built as a Roman Catholic Church in 1828. The church stands on the former site of a wooden edifice built for the pioneers in 1805. The congregation came from North Sydney, Sydney Mines, Bras d’Or, Low Point and Louisbourg. In 1850 a balcony was added to accommodate the burgeoning population of the area. Due to the increasing size of the congregation, a new church, Sacred Heart, was later built on George Street.
Our Venue Chair is Jim McNeil and the Old Sydney Society
Location: 643 Main St, Sydney Mines
Contact: Jim McNeil
Tatamagouche is situated where the rivers French and Waugh enter a natural harbour, and it gets its name from the Mi’kmaq ‘Takumegooch’ meaning ‘meeting of the waters’. In 1755 the British expelled the Acadians and the village was destroyed. All that remains from that period are some Acadian dykes and French place names. Protestant repopulation began in 1765 followed by a sizeable shipbuilding industry. Recently restored, the former Tatamagouche Creamery buildings comprise a complex that houses the popular year-round Farmers Market and Creamery Museum. The Performing Arts Centre for the Creamery complex is currently under construction.
The concert venue in Tatamagouche is the historic Sharon United Church, 15 Church Street, with its fine acoustics. Built in 1854 to serve local Presbyterians, it became Sharon United Church in 1925 following church union. The building was enlarged in 1871, an organ was added in 1888, and in 1930 the old closed-in pews were replaced by the present ones.
With acknowledgements to Sharon United Church and Fulton’s Pharmacy in River John and Tatamagouche.
Location: 15 Church Street, Tatamagouche
Contact: Ann Manicom, 902 657-2699
The heritage value of St. John’s Anglican Church is both historical and spiritual in nature, being the principal place of worship for a congregation whose roots extend back to the earliest days of the Truro township. Construction of the first St. John’s, a wood-frame structure on the site of the present building, began in 1821 and was completed in 1825. The current building, constructed of freestone, is a very good example of the 19th century revival of the English Gothic style in ecclesiastical architecture. The steeply pitched roof, flying buttresses, pointed arches and tracery are identifying elements. The crenelated tower was a later addition. The actual work on the church was started in 1873 with plans drawn up by architect William Thomas of Montreal, and was finally completed in 1881.
Wedgeport is a picturesque Acadian village overlooking the Tusket River in Yarmouth County. Eglise St- Michel, a large structure seating 700 people was built in 1867. In 1906 it was considered ‘too small’ and an addition was made of two large towers placed on either side of the main building. Renovations and upkeep through the years have made the church the pride of parishioners – a magnificent structure seating 1000 people.
Location: 2552 Highway 334, Wedgeport
Contact: Joan Semple, 902 742-8765
L’histoire de l’église Saint-Pierre
L’église Saint-Pierre fut commencée en 1889 par le Père Sullivan. La construction avancée a permis d’y célébrer la messe de minuit en 1891. Elle fut achevée en 1892. Elle fut précédée par 2 autres : la première construite en 1810, sur le bord de l’ouest du havre de Pubnico, était située sur l’autre côté du chemin du vieux cimetière sur le chemin « Old School Road ». La seconde fut construite en 1840, après avoir démolie la première. Elle fut bénie par le Père Goudot le 8 janvier. Aujourd’hui, notre belle et grande église sert encore de lieu véritable de rencontre de tous les chrétiens, autour de Celui qui est venue « rassembler les enfants de Dieu dispersés » : Jésus Christ; pour écouter la Parole de Dieu et manger à la table eucharistique le Corps du Seigneur.
A short history of Saint Peter’s Church
Saint Peter’s was first started in 1889 by Father Sullivan. With the advanced construction of the building, it was possible to celebrate the midnight Mass of Christmas 1892 in the new church. There were two preceding churches for this parish. The first one was built in 1810 and was situated alongside the Pubnico harbor on the West side. The second one was built in 1840 after the first one was demolished. This one was blessed by Father Goudot on January 8, 1840. Today our big, beautiful church is still a place where all Christians can gather to hear the Gospel and to celebrate in the eucharist by eating the bread of life at the table of the Lord.
Location: 1152 Rte 335, Middle West Pubnico
Contact: Joan Semple
Wolfville is a town of elegance and charm set amid natural wonders. Stately elms, manicured lawns, and the rich architecture of its century old homes gives Wolfville an historic grace and unprecedented charm. Home of Acadia University, one of Canada’s finest undergraduate schools, Wolfville is considered the academic and cultural centre of the Annapolis Valley. The university had no chapel until 1960, when major funds were provided by the Fred C. Manning Charitable Fund. The Manning Memorial Chapel, an American Colonial brick structure was opened in October of 1963. Of particular note is the classical Baroque organ in the balcony and the spectacular front stained glass windows with their images outlined in gold leaf.
Location: 45 Acadia St., Wolfville
Contact: Nancy Burbidge
The Yarmouth County Museum & Archives is a museum located in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia exploring the history of Yarmouth County. Located in the heart of Yarmouth’s heritage residential district, the museum is housed in a former church as well as two historic houses. It also operates a summer display in the restored Killam Brothers Shipping Office on the Yarmouth waterfront.
Location: 22 Collins Street, Yarmouth
Contact: Joan Semple, 902 742-5539